Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Effects of Global Warming

It's November now, and the weather should be chilly. There were a couple of cold weeks in October, but the weather turned warm and slightly humid again after that. Being a California girl who loves the heat, I would normally welcome the warm weather to stay as long as possible. But on the East Coast, warm, sticky weather means mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes everywhere! This past summer, I must have gotten at least 50 bites. My skin reacts very badly to them with each bite exploding into a huge, red itchy bump. When my old boss first saw one of them on my wrist, his gasped and asked if I had accidentally burned myself.

Knowing this, we tried to mosquito proof the apartment last summer. I bought mosquito repellent incense, sprayed myself up with DEET and plugged in little devices that would supposedly make mosquito repellent noises all over the apartment. But the incense would only burn for two hours, the DEET also had a two hour lifespan, and the noise making devices were useless. The Boy frequently caught mosquitoes resting and even dancing on top of them. So despite our efforts, I became a nightly snack to all the mosquitoes in our neigborhood.

Naturally, I was elated when mosquito season ended at the end of September. But when the weather turned warm again, the mosquitoes came back. About a week and a half ago at 5AM, the loud buzzing of mosquitoes in my ear so rudely awoke me. What the &#^$*!!! They're all supposed to be dead by now! We both woke and killed the ones visibly flying around the apartment. The walls smeared with fresh blood as we smacked them dead. I couldn't fall asleep after that, knowing that there could be more hungry for some fresh blood.

This same pattern went on for the next few days, producing another 10-15 more bites. I got so paranoid about falling asleep that I began to imagine their obnoxious buzzing sound in my ear anytime I was in a quiet room. I didn't sleep so well that week, and after a few days of this, we'd had enough. It was all out war now! We went out and bought 4 rolls of sticky fly paper to hang all over the apartment. We got lemongrass scented incense, bought a three pack of Raid foggers and even ordered a mosquito net on Amazon.

It was overkill. We fogged the apartment with one can while we were at work and never saw another bug again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morrissey said...

same here - 2.5 weeks ago i got these mosquito bites on my arms while sleeping. But global warming has its plusses - think of the unseasonable warm days in October and November?!??!?! Also, this means there is a low probability of any blizzard or snowstorms eh?

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home