Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Martha's Vineyard

The Boy and I spent the second day of our Cape Cod area tour at Martha's Vineyard. The weather started out cold and drizzly. I was a bit disappointed at this, as I was hoping that the Labor Day weekend would bring sunny enough weather to lounge around on the beach in my new bikini. But I suppose it was better that this didn't happen. I wasn't too successful in fixing the color on my legs, and I'm sure the blotchiness and stark color contrasts would have drawn quite a few shocked and disgusted looks. I'd be the girl on the beach that everyone would whisper about: "She shouldn't be allowed in a bikini. "

The ferry ride was extremely windy and rainy up on deck, but surprisingly smooth and tranquil on the bottom level. The rain subsided when we landed at Martha's Vineyard which reminded me of Catalina Island. The Boy and I rented bikes and did a 9 mile stretch from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown, stopping along the way to enjoy the different sights of the two towns. My favorite was the "gingerbread cottages", a collection of gaudily decorated cottages in Oak Bluffs:


The ride from Vineyard Haven where the ferry dropped us off to Oak Bluffs was nice and smooth, but as we continued riding along the coast from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown, the winds blew fiercely against us. Even with a slight decline in the road, we were pedaling furiously on the road to nowhere. In fact, we were pedaling so as not to get blown backward along our course. My thighs were killing me, and it didn't help that I knew we were barely covering any ground. I gave up after a mile of this torture and began walking the bike. As we got closer to Edgartown, the winds died down, and we hopped back onto our bikes, riding through these scenes:

2 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

wow! you own a bikini?! and i'm sure that you're not blotchy. you're so silly. ") see you soon!

12:40 AM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

yep, got my first bikini on sale at the end of the season, and i never had a chance to wear it. oh well, next season...
or, this could be my excuse to go on vacation to some remote island where i can lounge on the sand with a mai tai in hand. i've never done that.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home