Saturday, September 16, 2006

Visit From an Out of Town Friend

Last weekend, an old coworker/friend came to visit, giving me a chance to play tour guide once more. In just two and a half days we covered so much! Of course, it helped that we reconnected with another old coworker/friend living on the Upper West side who relieved me of my duty of knowing my way around for a day. Our itinerary:

Friday: Lunch at the Aquagrill (mmm! oysters!), cocktails at an Asia Society mixer in the Upper East Side, dinner at Cafe D'Alsace. While I was at work, my friend shopped in Soho and walked all the way to Downtown Manhattan and across the Brooklyn bridge and back!

Saturday: The Met, stroll through Central Park, lunch at Buchon Bakery in the Time Warner Center (here is where our former coworker/current friend joined us), Times Square, Bryant Park, New York Public Library, Fifth Avenue window browsing, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Broadway play (Hairspray), topped off with some late night drinks and appetizers.

Sunday: Rode the Staten Island ferry to get a nice city skyline view, got lost, walked around South Street Seaport, got lost, bumped into and mowed down a few people in Chinatown (it's too damn crowded there!), got lost, got gelato in Little Italy, got lost, drinks at Union Square, dinner at Oh Taisho! in Astor place, and more drinks at Union Square.

Sunday ended with us meeting my Brooklyn friend in Union Square for one last drink. My visitor exclaimed to my Brooklyn friend that I was such a wonderful tour guide and showed her all over the city. Hmmm...the heavy dose of sightseeing done flawlessly on Saturday with our other friend leading and me pretending to lead seemed to have obliterated the fact that I was lost in between every sight on Sunday. At this, I smiled and kept quiet...until my Brooklyn friend shot me the same confused look I get on my face when asked for directions. To that, I guiltily confessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home