Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Potluck Saturday

So, what did we do with the 11 pounds of turkey leftover from Thanksgiving? I woke up early on Saturday morning (well, early for my weekend standards) and made a Cantonese rice porridge with the Boy's leftover homemade turkey broth and probably a pound of turkey meat. I grew up eating Cantonese style rice porridge which is rich in flavor and sort of like a hearty soup. The first time I had the rice porridge that Taiwanese and Mandarin-speaking people eat, I had a hard time getting it all down. It was so plain! But I wasn't aware that you were supposed to eat it with a lot of salty side dishes, so it's not really meant to be a meal in itself, but more like a runny rice accompaniment. The Boy never had Cantonese style rice porridge and refused to believe that it could taste better than the type he was used to. I was out to prove that my version was tastier, and he loved it!

Unfortunately, my plan sort of backfired on me. Taiwanese rice porridge is really easy to make and takes very little time. Cantonese rice porridge takes more time and more work. I may have switched the Boy over to my side, but I created much more work for myself in the process.

Later that evening, we went to a friend's gourmet potluck in Brooklyn. The Boy made little turkey salad sandwiches, and I made a marinated veggie dish. There was a lot of food: duck with fig sauce, miso marinated black cod, Chinese sticky rice, a pasta salad and lots of delicious homemade desserts. Mmmm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home