Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It's Getting a Little Chilly Out Here

The weather's freezing out here now! The average temperature during the day is in the 30s and 40s, yet somehow I'm able to handle the cold out here better than in LA where the daytime temperature rarely ever drops below 60 and usually hovers in the 65-70 range during this time.

(Aside: For my non-SoCal friends, sorry to burst your bubble. It's not 85-90 and sunny year round in LA, and LA has seen rain before...plenty of times! A coworker of mine told me he was going to visit LA for a week during Christmas because he wanted to go somewhere with tropical weather. He was planning on stripping down at the beach and coming back to NY with a golden tan. I quickly brought him back to reality, and he didn't believe me until his cousin in LA confirmed that the only tan he could get in LA during Christmas would be the sunless kind.)

The East Coast is better equipped for cold weather. The heat here works a little too well. I don't have control over the heat in my apt. Sometimes it gets so hot and stuffy inside that I have to open a window to balance it out. I've even slept with the window open a couple of nights after the heat was turned on so high that I was sweating. When my old roommate and I turned the heat on in LA, it was so weak that sometimes I would stick my feet up on the furnace to see if it was still working.

The winter clothes here are also warmer. It's hard to find a heavy coat in LA, and scarves aren't all that commonly used. Here, all of the coats are heavy and sold everywhere. When the Boy's cousins and their kids visited a few weeks ago, they had to buy warm clothes out here because they couldn't find any in LA.

Last Saturday, I waited an entire hour and a half in 30 something degree weather to get tickets to see a Broadway show. It was cold, but amazingly bearable. I got tickets to see "Fiddler on the Roof," which turned out to be a great musical. The Boy and I really liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home