Saturday, October 29, 2005

Tour Guide For a Weekend

The Boy and I played tour guide for a day on Saturday, as the Boy's aunt, uncle, cousins and their babies dropped by for a visit. The weather was cold and windy, but at least it wasn't raining. We hit up all of the touristy sites: Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Saint Patrick's Cathedral, The Rockefeller Center, Trump Towers, and The Empire State Building. This was my third time going up to the top of the Empire State Building. I'm embarrassed to say that I never get sick of the touristy stuff. It was pretty fun showing everyone around. Along the way somewhere along Fifth Avenue in Midtown, we ran across a street fair and checked it out for a while. I ended up buying another colorful scarf.

By the end of the day, the Boy and I were beat. It's not easy going around the city with both a 1 and 3 year old. They're cute, but tiring. When the 1 year old isn't in the stroller (which is a pain to lug up and down subway stairs and just as much of a pain trying to get through crowds), you're carrying her. One-year olds don't really cling to you, so your arms have to support all of the weight. I carried the one-year old for about 15 minutes and had to hand her back. Meanwhile, you have to keep an eye on the 3 year old. Her hands were all over the place. She was touching the poles on the subways, dusting off the railings in Times Square with her fingers, crawling on floor at the Baby Gap, etc. At one point, we were in a souvenir shop in the Trump Towers. The 1 year old came up to me and handed me a magnet. How sweet! The 1 year old was trying to interact with me. As I went to the magnet stand to put it back, I noticed a pile of magnets on the floor right under the stand. So, as I tried to put the magnets back on one by one, the 1 year old continued to rip them off the stand and drop them on the floor. Meanwhile, the 3 year old had her eye on a packet of Twizzler tidbits hidden in the back row of an assorted snack rack. To get to Twizzler candy, you have to remove all of the snacks hanging in front of it. The 3 year old handed me snack after snack until she got to the Twizzler bites, only to find out that her mom didn't approve. She got gummy bears instead, and I put all of the snacks back onto the rack.

Although the kids were a handful, the Boy and I had a pretty good time with them. Their parents were exhausted. Conversation with the 3 Year old on the subway ride back:

3 Year Old (taking hands off the subway pole): LANYtransplant, do you want a gummy bear?

Me: No thanks, sweetie.

3 Year Old: Oh, come on! Just try it!

Me: That's O---

(3 Year old shoves a gummy bear along with all of Manhattan's germs into my mouth).

Me: Mmmm! Thank you.

End of tour for today.

1 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

oh, my gosh! hahaha!!! ew, but how funny! "D it's a good thing you're used to and like taking care of kids!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home