Friday, October 14, 2005

New York Vintage Wine Bar

It's a little past 6:30PM on a rainy Thursday night at the New York Vintage Wine Bar in Soho, and in walk two girlfriends for their weekly bonding outing.

Girl #1 (to the guy behind the counter): This is our first time at a wine bar, so you'll have to let us know how this works.

Wine sales guy tells us that it's $5 for 5 tastes and hands us a menu.

Girl #1 (to wine sales guy): Can you help me decide what to get? What's good? I like red wines in general.

Wine Sales Guy: Which red would you like to start out with?

Girl #2's thought bubble: Guess you decided to ignore the last question...

Girl #1: Um... this red looks interesting. Is it good?

Wine Sales Guy: No. It's crap.

Girl #1: Ok. Well, how about your "Dead Red" wine ?

Wine Sales Guy: Please! It's horrible. The wine came straight from the press and was never aged. "Dead Red?" - Halloween marketing gimmick!

Girl #2's thought bubble (laughing): Way to sell your wines!

Girl #1 (slightly annoyed): Alright, do you have anything in here that is good?

Wine Sales Guy: Don't get me wrong here. There's plenty of good stuff. I'll come up with a flight of 5 reds that you'll like. Girl #2, would you like the same?

Girl #2: No, sir. Gimme the sweet stuff!

So, we tried five different wines while chatting at the wine bar. While my friend tried some pinot noirs and cabs, I tried a white port, blueberry fruit wine, honey mead and a couple of less memorable sugary concoctions. I liked the blueberry wine so much that I bought a bottle.

Next, we were off to the restaurant-like part of the bar to chat over a snack and flight of wines. I ordered a flight of reislings with a bowl of toasted herb almonds to share, and my friend ordered a flight of reds. We both had dinner plans afterwards, so we were trying to save our appetites for later. After tasting 5 wines in the tasting room followed by three more half glasses of reisling, the almonds didn't do much to ward off a buzz. I was totally giddy!

I disappeared for a second to use the restroom, and when I came back, a chocolate soufflee magically appeared on our table. A figment of my drunken state of delirium? Nope! It was a gift on the house from our waiter and one of the perks of hanging out with my beautiful friend on a girl's night out.

So much for saving my appetite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home