Sunday, March 18, 2007

'Why Men Love Bitches'

Yesterday, the Boy and I were out walking around our neigborhood. It had just snowed the night before so the streets were all slushy and unpleasant to walk on. But it was a sunny Saturday morning with a St. Patrick's Day parade going on so we didn't want to stay in. Actually, the St. Patrick's Day parade was ending, and we found it quite annoying that there were so many people all over the place, making it even more difficult to walk.

The Boy wanted to go to a couple of high end stationary stores to buy good quality blank cards to write thank you notes to his boss and other coworkers who had offered us their Vermont homes and free lift tickets on a couple of weekends. We found a nice box of Cranes blank cards. It had unique envelopes with leather-like insides. Those would do nicely.

Next, we decided hang out at Barnes and Noble, browsing through books and magazines. I looked through the 'paperback favorites' section. This was usually how I picked out books to order on Amazon. I sifted through a bunch of interesting reads, but knew I wouldn't remember them the next time I ordered since I'd just received three new books through Amazon.

Then my hands came across a book entitled, 'Why Men Love Bitches.' It was a national bestseller. Normally, these aren't the type of books I read. I'm more into memoirs and historical fiction, but I flipped through a few pages to see what all the hype was about.

Ahhahaha! It was hilarious! I couldn't stop smiling at all the funny and somewhat true things this lady was writing. I took the book and searched for the Boy to sit down and read. When I found him, he asked me to find a spot for us to read together while he picked out a book or magazine. I flashed the title of my book to him, which elicited a little chuckle out of him before I went off to find us a reading spot.

As I walked around, I spotted an empty chair. I walked over to the table, hoping that there would be another chair for the Boy also. When I got there, I found a middle aged man sitting in the other chair, asleep and snoring slightly. I sat down with my book, hoping that the man would wake up and leave by the time the Boy found me.

Didn't happen. When the Boy found me reading, I moved to get up so that we could find another spot for both of us to sit, but he motioned for me to stay. He told me to stay comfortable where I was, and he'd read somewhere else. We'd find eachother when one of us got bored.

So I sat there reading 'Why Men Love Bitches', smiling and laughing silently at how hilarious this book was. I was blowing though it quickly, when the man across from me snorted and woke up. He started to get his things together when I heard a "No, that's not true. None of that stuff. It's not true. Don't believe it."

I looked up and laughed. "It's hilarious, though!"

He had his things together and started to walk away, but turned around after a few steps, "Really, it's not true. She just made a lot of money off of it. It's not true!"

Ahhhahahaha! His attempts to make me put down the book and read another only made me want to read it more. I'll surely remember this one when I order my next batch from Amazon in a couple of months!

3 Comments:

Blogger Morrissey said...

now why would you read such a book?!?!??!?! aiya...

7:21 PM  
Blogger SuperLefty said...

curious, except for the price, how come you don't buy the books from the bookstore? wow, do you buy a lot of books? (haven't talked to you in ages!!!)

8:43 PM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

Price is a lot cheaper on Amazon, plus free shipping if I order $25. Yep, I read a lot now. I've read (and ordered) at least 15 books since I got here.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home