Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year's Celebration

I took my usual redeye back into New York after spending a week in LA visiting friends and family. For some reason, I don't sleep so well on planes anymore. I used to fall asleep shortly after takeoff and wake right before landing.

I got in at around 6:45AM, took the subway back home, unpacked a bit, showered and then fell asleep until a little before noon. I ended up taking another 2 hour nap in the late afternoon, only to wake up in time to watch the Boy make a special birthday dinner for me. He was going to be the Iron Chef tonight, and the secret ingredient was my favorite-mushrooms!




Appetizer: Morel Mushroom Puff Pastry











Main course: Chanterelle, porcini and maitake mushrooms over papardelle pasta.












Dessert: Vanilla Bean Souffle made with real vanilla beans!










Dinner was delicious.

Afterwards, we headed over to do the countdown with Dick Clark on TV at a friend's place down the street. The Boy and I started a game of Jenga that lasted so long that it threatened to engage our attentions past the countdown. Luckily, the tower toppled a few minutes before we welcomed in the new year!

3 Comments:

Blogger ag127 said...

Wow, that looks absolutely delicious! And this is from someone enjoying Paris food right now! Happy New Year!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Morrissey said...

the SECRET INGREDIENT IS: MUSHROOMS!

Although what happened to the mushroom flavored souffle?!??! you guys could have topped it with truffle flakes!

8:37 AM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

I'm all for the Iron Chef, but I draw the line at disgusting desserts.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home