Friday, January 19, 2007

Weekend Fun

Recap of last weekend:

Friday: Met up with the Boy after work for dinner at Sasabune on 73rd and First Avenue. The place was really tiny and cramped, but the sushi was fresh and tasty. The staff fired the dishes out quickly, one after another. Three quarters through, I was so stuffed that I started slipping the Boy half my dishes.
Saturday: Lounged around the apartment for half a day, did some online shopping and then went shopping in the neighborhood with the Boy. We stopped by the local gym (NYSC) to check out the rates and facility.
Sunday: The Boy and I had our free trial day at the gym. We decided to check out a boxing class and a yoga class. The boxing class was intense. The instructor ran it like a boot camp with us starting off running laps. Partway through, he barked for us to drop and do 20, then back to running laps, until he barked for us to leapfrog down, push-up, leapfrog back down, push-up, etc. I realized how uncoordinated I was when we had to shadow box with ourselves in front of a mirror. My movements were slow and weak. The Boy and I were so beat and dripping with sweat after the half hour warm up drills, but we didn't want to give up just yet. Next, we got our boxing gloves and took turns at a punching bag while the instructor did his one-on-one rounds. I'd never boxed before in my life, so I had no idea what I was doing.

Instructor: Give me a right hook!
Me: Huh?
Instructor: Do this.
I gave a left hook.
Instructor: Right!
I gave another left hook.
Instructor: Right!
Another left hook.
Classmate: Try your other right.
Finally, the right hook.
Instructor: Uppercut!
Me: Huh?
Instructor: Do this.
Then the instructor swung his pad at my head, stopping short of hitting me.
Blank stare from me.
Instructor: You're supposed to duck.
Me: Oh, right.

Needless to say, yoga went much better.

Afterwards, I went home, showered and headed out to meet a friend for tea. We met at Trader Joes and did a bit of grocery shopping first. This took forever, as the line wrapped around the entire store. When we finally got out of there, we walked over to Astor Place to meet another friend for a snack/tea at Cha-an. They have the best tasting green tea cocktail! It tastes exactly like green tea ice cream! Mmmm!

I had to run after an hour to meet the Boy for dinner. We'd planned to have sushi again, but our plans changed when the Boy's friend wanted to double date. The Boy had a craving for ramen and was looking for Rai Rai Kan back at Astor Place again, but couldn't find it, so we ended up back at our tried and true favorite, O Taisho!, where we ordered a bunch of new dishes. We finished the night off with dessert at Veniero's.

Monday: I had Monday off because of MLK, but didn't do much. The impact of yesterday's boot camp kicked in, as I could barely move for most of the day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morrissey said...

gonna check out Sasabune in feb....i hope it is similar to one in oahu.....

Going to EN jap brasserie this thurs- will definitely let you know how it goes!

O- TAISHO.....that is my regular hangout joint!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home