Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tripping and Falling Through Work

Ususally this time of year, work's not so busy as things are still starting up after the new year. But this year's started off pretty hectic for me. Just yesterday, I had an especially embarrassing "deer in the headlights" moment, and today I managed to boot myself out of an access list during a fit of frustration.

(For confidentiality purposes, I've substituted the topic of discussion to something which I am equally oblivious)

Ring! Ring!

Hello?

Hey, LANYTransplant, I need you to sit in on a meeting I just pulled together and take notes. ___ is on vacation, so can you fill in? Don't worry, we're just trying to figure out what's going on.

Alright. I can do that. But I'm not too familiar with the topic.

It's alright. Just sit in.

Meeting in progress:

Client: Alright, so I guess you guys have called this meeting together to discuss our evapotranspiration estimation process. Evapotranspiration occurs when a watershed loses a significant amount of water. We need to calculate the potential evapotranspiration in order to determine the proper level of irrigation for our farms. When the potential evapotranspiration exceeds actual precipitation, we need proper irrigation to prevent the soil from drying out.

What the hell is he talking about? Whatever, just take notes.

Coworker: Alright, so how do you calculate the potential evapotranspiration?

Client: Well, we create an equation of the water balance of the watershed. The change in water is a function of precipitation, estimated evapotranspiration, streamflow and groundwater recharge.
Do you agree?

Coworker: Ummm, let me think about it for a second...yes, that sounds right. Wait a minute, LANYTransplant, I need your expert opinion here. Please tell me if this is right, or suggest an alternate method. Can you think of some other way?

WTF?! I don't know! What are you guys talking about anyway?

(Dead silence, pressure mounting for a response from me)

Me: Ummm, well...uh...

(More dead silence, beads of sweat begin to form above my brow)

Me: Well...I'll have to think about it and get back to you.

(Dead silence and disbelief)

Wrong answer! Doh!

Then later the next day while trying to log onto a system:

Enter userid, enter password.
System response: You are already logged on. Acess denied.
What?! No I'm not.
Re-enter userid, re-enter password.
System response: You are aleady logged on. Access denied.
Argh!
Frustrated, I begin tapping the keyboard repeatedly to release my anger.
Quit tapping me you annoying little...! Tap me one more time and I'll...
Tap.
System response: Error. Your user id has been revoked. Please contact an administrator for help.
Brilliant. Now I was as useless as a new employee who wasn't set up for anything. How would I explain this to my manager?

2 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

hahaha! did you actually research this topic so that you can put it in for the real topic you weren't familiar with? i love your entries! it makes me not want to post about my boring life! ")

11:00 PM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

No, no, no! Get your blog going!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home