Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Summer in January!

The weather this past Saturday was unusually warm. It was 68 degrees and sunny! 68 degrees! Yes, I know, my old LA self would have though, "What?! That's freezing! It's too cold to do anything outside! Damn winter weather!"

People were out roaming the city in T-shirts and shorts. The Boy and I decided to take advantage of such nice weather and spend the whole day out. We first took a stroll through Central Park, occasionally stopping to sit and people watch while sunbathing (yes, I remembered my SPF). Afterwards, we headed down to Union Square and walked to somewhere near Astor Place, looking for a good lunch spot. We walked and walked and walked until we hit the outskirts of Alphabet City and turned back around to get a wrap and rice bowl at Momofuku Ssam Bar on 2nd and 13th street.

I ordered the toasted nori rice bowl with angus beef brisket and a bunch of sides, while the Boy ordered the original Ssam wrap. Halfway through eating, the Boy suggested that we switch so that we'd be able to try eachother's food. I handed him my bowl, and he gave me his wrap. The wrap was good, but I liked my bowl better. With the way the Boy was attacking my bowl, I couldn't tell if he was just really hungry (we hadn't eaten much all day) or if he really really liked it. He looked over at me eating his wrap and smiled. If he liked the bowl that much, I felt bad about asking for it back. So, for the next five minutes, we ate each other's orders and people watched, occasionally smiling back at each other. Then I decided to comment:

Your wrap's good, but the bowl is better.

(Boy) Thank god! Give me back my wrap. With the way you were eating it, I thought I'd piss you off if I tried to pry it out of your hands.

How silly it would have been if I hadn't said anything! Afterwards, we walked on Bleecker street from the east side all the way to Greenwich Village on the west side where we popped into Amy's Bread (their red velvet cake was all sold out as usual) and Murray's Cheese Shop before settling on a bench to people watch and enjoy the weather.

2 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

nice. sounds like you're becoming quite the local. you guys reminded me of a modified version of "the gift of the magi" story. ")

10:30 PM  
Blogger Morrissey said...

why is everyone raving about momofuku?!??!?!?!?!?

heck just spend a dollar on ramen noodles!


:)

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home