Monday, August 29, 2005

Kids Are Growing Up Fast These Days

Last Thursday, I went to a Bowling For Soup Concert at Rye Playland. I'm not much of a Bowling For Soup fan, but I figured this would be a good opportunity to hang out with my coworkers outside of work, and I've never been to Rye Playland.

We left work a bit early to get to the amusement park in time to get a quick bite to eat before hearing the concert. We took the subway to the train station and then the Metro North to the bus station.

The bus ride was nice because I got to look out the window and see what Rye, New York looks like. Rye looks like a wealthy, suburban area with very large homes and very large lawns. The amusement park was right next to the beach and reminded me a little bit of Redondo and a little bit of where I grew up.

Halfway through my burger and fries, the Boy met up with me and a couple of my coworkers for the first time. We then headed off to the concert area to either get a seat or find a place to stand. There was no way we were getting a seat - the place was packed. We were lucky to even get a place to stand.

I'd only heard a couple of Bowling For Soup's songs on the radio and in movies before and didn't really listen to them otherwise. Maybe it was because it was summer and we were at an amusement park, or maybe this was just their fan base. My coworkers didn't seem to mind that we found ourselves standing alongside a huge crowd of screaming 10-12 year olds accompanied by their mothers or fathers. There were even quite a few 5-7 year olds, too. The older kids at around 15 were obnoxiously snaking and shoving their way through the crowd. This really wasn't what I expected.

The band was alright up until they decided to sing Britney Spears' 'Hit Me Baby One More Time.' The Boy and I just sort of exchanged sympathetic looks at that point and wanted to leave.

The thing that surprised me was that Bowling For Soup is a real rock band. They sound a bit like Blink 182, yet there are five year olds singing along to them that know all of the lyrics! Is this really what kindergarteners are listening to these days? I know, I know - I sound like an old geyser saying this, but I'm pretty sure I was still singing the theme song to Winnie the Pooh and "I'm a Little Teapot" at that age.

But anyway, the Boy and I were happy to go home after this. On the upside, I did like the drive through Rye, and the amusement park was fun to hang around for a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

yup, we're getting old. but, no worries, it's always been that way. my friend's little sister was always singing along to madonna songs and r.e.m., etc. at the age of 6 or 7. it's just a matter of what influences them now. childhood has lost a lot of innocence, i think, but i think cities are often like that. i don't know about middle america. ")

11:27 AM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

Yay! You're back! Have you gone on your trip yet?

Rye, NY is like the backwoods compared to most neighboring cities.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home