Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My Fun Weekend

After taking the scenic route home last Friday, the boy and I headed off to a bar/club near Union Square for his coworker's 30th surprise party. NY bar/clubs look the same as LA bar/clubs. Everyone was pretty friendly, and I met and talked to a bunch of random people that I will likely never see again. Conversations usually started with how do you know the birthday boy? I didn't even know the birthday boy's name, so my response was usually, 'Who?' And then I would explain that I was the birthday boy's coworker's girlfriend from LA. Then the whole NY-LA comparison convo would start up.

We left the bar/club after about an hour and a half and ambled over to Veniero's for dessert. We made a pact not to get drunk since we had a fun Saturday planned out. We both had just two drinks each: two beers for the Boy, and a chambord straight up and midori cranberry for me. The Boy and I have completely different tastes for alcohol. I hate beer, and he likens the taste of my drinks to cough syrup.

We went all over the place on Saturday. The first stop was to buy me a new ring. I have a terrible habit. It doesn't matter how hard I try, but I've lost every single ring the Boy has ever given me. I'm always pretty upset after I lose them. The first ring I had for about a year before I think it must have gone down a drain while washing my hands at work. It was too big, and it just slipped off. So the Boy got me a Tiffany heart shaped ring for Christmas that year to replace the ring I lost. It fit perfectly, and I managed to keep that one for quite a while. But shortly after I got to NY, I took it off while cleaning the apt, and that was the last I saw of it. So, on Saturday, the Boy bought me Tiffany's latest open heart ring design. For being so sweet, I bought the Boy an oil painting he'd been eyeing later in the day.

After Tiffany's we checked out a bunch of specialty food stores. There was the famous Murray's Cheese shop, a specialty meat store, a bread shop/bakery (with a red velvet cake that was to die for) , the Green market, and a store devoted solely to selling different (seriously, how different can they be?) types of olive oils. As we were walking around, we stumbled across a street fair going on and spent some time browsing through that. Around that area, some famous rapper walked out of a store to his Rolls, and a crowd started to form. I don't really listen to rap, so I had no clue who he was, but he came out right as the Boy and I were outside the store, so I was pretty close to him before the crowd formed and we left.

After wandering around the lower half of Manhattan for a while, we went back to the apt and made dinner with the stuff we bought before heading off to The Comic Strip Live, a nice end to a perfect Saturday in the city.

3 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

oh, my gosh! does everyone use "convo" for "conversation" now and i just missed the memo? you're the third person this week, and i've never heard it before this week. weird. "p

4:51 PM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

lieutenant: stop whining. in another year, you'll be loaded beyond belief. how are things going so far?

7:22 PM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

lefty: get with the lingo! j/k! i only use "convo" when writing.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home