Friday, July 29, 2005

Stuck in the Subway

I get little panic attacks when I'm stuck in a semi-crowded enclosed space with inadequate air conditioning for an unknown amount of time. My old roommate used to wonder how I was able to fly on airplanes which always have you trapped in a crowded, enclosed space for hours. But, the AC always works too well, and I know how long the flight is so planes never bother me.

So I was riding the express subway back home from work when all of a sudden, it stopped. At first, I thought nothing of it because subway cars aren't allowed to follow eachother too closely and also, sometimes the tracks merge, so the conductor has to stop or slow down. But then the conductor annouced over the intercom that train service on the 4 & 5 would end at the next stop due to a police investigation going on further up. Meanwhile, everyone was stuck in the subway car for an undisclosed amount of time. I was kind of annoyed at first, but grateful that the car wasn't too full. But then the A/C shut off, and I started to sweat a bit, got really fidgety and started having adrenaline rushes as the car got stuffier. It took about half an hour for the train to go one stop because it would move very slowly for a bit and then be still for 5 minutes at a time. I almost wanted to kill the conductor when he annouced that he wasn't sure if he would let us out at the next stop, or try to go another stop further before releasing everyone. Luckily, he let us out at the next stop.

I was still pretty far away from home and feeling a bit lazy, so despite my claustrophobia, I hopped onto the local 6 train to get back. But after going one stop, it also stalled in a tunnel. When the train finally got to the next stop, I gave up and walked the final 30 blocks home.

2 Comments:

Blogger SuperLefty said...

wow...so, you have very toned legs now, right? i can't believe it's been less than a month...it feels like half a year! i hate this time difference thing.

11:16 AM  
Blogger LANYTransplant said...

hey lefty. the time diff is pretty annoying. i'll send u an e-mail. meanwhile, you'd better get cracking on monster!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home