Thursday, August 18, 2005

I'm No Pop Diva

I left my work in the West Village a bit early today to make an eye appointment near my apartment in the Upper East Side. I only chose an Upper East Side eye doctor because I was thought he would be open on the weekends, and it would be a bit more convenient for me. But when I called to schedule an appointment, the receptionist bombarded me with a slew of questions about my insurance and other information. I could barely get a word in, so by the time I found out that the optometrist didn't open on the weekends, I had already spent too much effort on this to not schedule the appointment.

I was going to get a new pair of glasses because they hadn't been updated since I was in college. My contacts were fine, and my insurance covered the glasses completely. Also, although I dress better for work now than I did in LA, I'm even lazier about my appearance outside of work than I was in LA. On weeknights and weekdays, I run around the city in flip flops, a tank, and shorts with no makeup, and in about a week, I will be running around the city in a tank, shorts, flip flops, no makeup and glasses.

Because of this, I wanted to get a cuter, trendier pair of glasses. After the optometrist determined the proper prescription for my glasses, I went to the counter to pick out a frame.

I picked out a bunch of frames to try - some wire rimmed, some plastic, some without rims and some with the top rim only. As I browsed the collection, I almost laughed aloud when I noticed that Britney Spears had a collection.

I brought my picks out to the counter to get a second opinion on which frame I should pick out. The Boy was supposed to meet me here to help me decide, but he didn't show.

As I tried on different pairs, the lady either approved or vetoed until I was down to two frames.
One had a top wire rim with an almost invisible lower wire that was cute, but looked more corporate according to the lady. The other had small, thin plastic rims in a pretty purplish color that was a bit more flattering and trendier.

I couldn't decide which I wanted. I was leaning toward the plastic purplish one until, to my horror, I noticed Britney Spears' name on them. Britney Spears was the designer of this frame?! There was no way! I don't own any of her CDs, perfume or whatever else she produces, and I sure as hell would not own a pair of her glasses! But they did look the cutest out of the frames that I tried on. As I retried the other frames that I picked, I thought to myself, "No one will know. Who's going to see the label inside one of the legs?"

And then, the Boy showed up and saved me from the shame of owning a pair of Britney glasses. He took one look at them and tossed them back onto the rack before picking out a really cute bluish pair with a cateye-like shape.

Very nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home