Monday, May 01, 2006

What Happens When You Drink Too Much Coffee

The Boy was especially jittery last Friday afternoon at work. So jittery that he inadvertently pressed a combination of buttons on his work phone which forwarded all calls to my workphone. Late Friday afternoon, my phone rang.

Me: Hello, this is LANYtransplant speaking.
Other End (The Boy's Friend): Hi, may I speak to the Boy? (Interesting, what's the Girl doing at the Boy's workplace on a Friday afternoon answering his phone?)

Complete and utter confusion.

Me: Huh? Umm...
Who the...? What the...? What am I supposed to say? I'd love to hand the phone over to the Boy, but right now we're not even in the same state. Why am I getting the Boy's calls?

Me: Umm...you want to speak to the Boy? This isn't the Boy's number.
Other end: It's not? Oh, well then...

Me: Uh, wait!
Who is this? Maybe it's a business contact. Would it be unprofessional to introduce myself as his girlfriend? I hate girlfriends who pick up their guy's phones and say, 'This is his girlfriend' before demanding to know who the other person is.

Me: Who is this? I actually know the Boy. If you'll leave your name and number, I'll have him call you back.

Other end: (The hell's wrong with her?) Yeah, sure. Please.

Me: (Please what?! I can't very well have him call you if you don't give me your name!) I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Who is this again?

Other end: The Boy's friend.

Me: The Boy's...OMG! That is sooo weird! It's LANYtransplant. How did you end up calling me to reach the Boy?

Other end: What number did I dial? You know the Boy? You KNOW the Boy? You've got to be kidding me! You just KNOW the Boy?

Me: This is my workphone! I had no idea who you were!

Other end: WTF?! Your work number is xxx-xxx-xxxx?

Me: No, that's the Boy's work number. He must have forwarded all of his calls to me. Why would he do that?

Other end: Let me try again.

Click . Ring ring.

Me: Hello?

Other end: It's me again. I'll call the Boy's cell.

Me: Haha.

Other end: Haha.

Click.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home