Sunday, April 09, 2006

Last Weekend/Week

I didn't do much last weekend. I just came back from a conference in SF and caught a nasty sore throat and cold on the plane ride back, so I slept a lot of the weekend. But I did manage to get out a couple of times. My Brooklyn friend had a huge bash at her place on Friday, so after work I came back home, baked some rice krispies to take to the party, and headed over to Brooklyn with the Boy for a couple of hours. The theme of the party was Havana Nights, so everyone was dressed in cute party dresses and there were cuban sandwiches, empanadas and lots of sangria.

I felt pretty crappy on Saturday, so I stayed in and slept most of the day. But on Sunday, the weather was so nice that I had to get out. The Boy and I walked around Central Park for a couple of hours and ended up grocery shopping at Fairway on the West Side. It was there that we ran into Cynthia Nixon. The place was so crowded that she was temporarily trapped in the olive oil/balsamic vinegar section of the store along with everyone else. I got a pretty good look at her there, and she looks exactly as she does on TV except that her hair isn't red, but blonde. We ran into her again later in the street as we were lugging out groceries back to the East Side.

I'm glad that I got to enjoy the nice weather on Sunday because it was cold and rainy the rest of the week. It even snowed on one of the days! My cold/cough lasted throughout the week. I was really busy at work, so I didn't want to take any time off. I'm not so sure how happy this made my coworkers, as I'm sure the entire building could hear me hacking and coughing all day long. Pretty disgusting.

I went out again last Thursday to see a play called "Trial By Water" about a couple of Vietnamese brothers whose parents try to send them to America in the late eighties. It's a true story where a boat carrying about 100 refugees gets stranded in the South China Sea when the engine dies. People get desparate for food and start to eat eachother. I tried to keep my coughing and throat clearing to a minimum and only during silences so as not to drown out the dialogue. The play was good, but a bit overacted and shockingly gross at times. This pretty much ended my friend's sushi cravings and mine too for a while. Afterwards, we grabbed a quick bite at Oh Taisho! in Astor Place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home