Monday, July 11, 2005

First Day at Work

My first day at work started off with a roughly half day orientation. I was a little concerned at first that there was no record that I should even be there. The whole recruiting process was sort of random, disorganized and unexpected. I started to doubt that it ever really happened. But I filled out all the forms, had my fingerprints taken and had a drug test done anyway. The orientation site was not the same as work, so I hopped onto a subway afterwards to work. This company had offices all over Manhattan with each department being in a different location. I was the only new hire from my location that day. Although my id badge was supposed to work, it wasn't granting me access into the building, so I had to follow someone in. My department has no reception area, so once I got in, I just sort of wandered around, poking my head into various cubicles until I found someone who looked familiar from the first interview. That was kind of weird. The first day went like a first day at any other new job. I was introduced to everyone in the department. Everyone was super friendly and helpful, and I didn't have much to do except to go through a couple of tutorials on how to navigate through their mainframe program. Since I wasn't fully adjusted to the time difference or waking up early (6:15AM), I got really sleepy at around 3PM. It got really bad. I could barely keep my eyes open, and the tutorials weren't helping. I've never really liked tutorials. Whether I'm sleepy or not, they've always managed managed to make me want to fall asleep, and I've never really retained anything from them. I learn much better by doing. If I wanted to stay awake, I had to stop going through the tutorials. So, I surfed the web and occasionally went back to the tutorials until around 5:30PM when the boss called me in to see how I was doing and discuss some of the upcoming projects that I might work on sometime in the near future. They seemed really interesting. I went home after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home